Les sections sanitaires automobiles féminines

Metadatas

Date

July 23, 2008

Discipline
type
Language
Identifier
Relations

This document is linked to :
info:eu-repo/semantics/reference/issn/0035-3299

This document is linked to :
info:eu-repo/semantics/reference/issn/1965-0779

Organization

OpenEdition

Licenses

All rights reserved , info:eu-repo/semantics/openAccess




Cite this document

Jean-Jacques Monsuez, « Les sections sanitaires automobiles féminines », Revue historique des armées, ID : 10670/1.0q3gl3


Metrics


Share / Export

Abstract Fr En

Confronté à la pénurie d’ambulances et d’ambulanciers au début des années 1940, le ministère français de la Guerre a accepté l’offre de la Croix-Rouge française de lui fournir des personnels sanitaires particuliers attachés au transport des blessés militaires sur le champ de bataille. La mise en application de ces « Instructions » a crée les sections sanitaires automobiles féminines (SSA) ; unités officielles ayant un statut administratif, attaché au 19e train. Pour préparer les trois premières sections avant leur action, une cérémonie fut organisée le 24 avril 1940 dans la cour des Invalides, à la suite de laquelle le rôle des sections fut planifié. Par la suite, les sections qui furent rattachées aux hôpitaux d’évacuation secondaires (HOE-2), proches de la ligne du front du nord de la France, connurent leurs premiers combats, de jour comme de nuit, chargeant et déchargeant les blessés sous les bombardements ennemis continuels. Elles reçurent par conséquent l’ordre de se retirer, jusqu’à ce que l’armistice fut restauré fin juin. Bien que les sections sanitaires automobiles féminines furent dissoutes dès le 12 septembre 1940, plusieurs femmes qui s’étaient précédemment portées volontaires, poursuivirent d’autres actions contre l’Allemagne lors de la Seconde Guerre mondiale.

The feminine’s automobiles of the Sanitary Sections. Facing with the shortages of both ambulances and drivers in the early 1940, the french Department of War agreed with the offer by the Croix-Rouge Française for supplying specific sanitary formations devoted to the transportation of military woundeds from the battlefield. The promulgation of the related « Instructions » had constituted the Sections sanitaires automobiles féminines (SSA) as formal units of women with administrative standing, attached to the 19 Train. As the preparation of the first 3 sections neared completion, an inaugural ceremony was organised on April 24, 1940 in the court of the Invalides, following which the sections were scheduled to go into action. Sections which were then attached to secundary evacuation hospitals (HOE-2) near the northern France frontline experienced soon later their first fightings, with day and night driving, loading and unloading of woundeds, often under sustained german bombing. They were subsequently ordered to retreat from place to place, until the armistice was established on late June. Another section moved on April 26, 1940 to the Middle East, where it has not taken part in any war action. Although the Sections sanitaires automobiles féminines were disbanded as early as on September 12, 1940, several of the women who had previously volunteered in subsequently engaged themselves in further actions against Germany during World War 2.

document thumbnail

From the same authors

On the same subjects

Within the same disciplines

Export in